Monday, July 23, 2012

Pray This Way

Pray, then, in this way” (Matt 6:9)
For the next couple of weeks I want to walk through the model prayer that Jesus taught His disciples. I plan to pick it apart into little pieces, and just see if we can find some keys to unlock our prayer lives.
To begin with this is a model prayer. While I am a firm believer in praying scripture and speaking to God using His Word, and about His Word, I do not think that Jesus was suggesting to the crowd on the mountain side that afternoon that they all go into a dark and uncomfortable place, get real serious, and recite these words by rote. Many of us can recite this prayer without flexing a single synapse (is that singular or plural – not sure.) Prayer may take many forms, but I can tell you one thing, if you are praying in a language you know, you should have your brain engaged. 
Just 2 verses earlier Jesus says “And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition.” (Matt 6:7) Yet sadly many who recite this prayer on a monthly, weekly, or even daily basis, have turned it into just that.
Well, I say let’s take this prayer back and let’s make it ours! [Tweet this]
My intention is to take it phrase by phrase and see if we can improve our prayer life. As you look at this prayer, what is your favorite part?
Walk through it with me, will you?
Thanks for stopping in today.
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment